This project is now complete (June-August 2014)
What is the Wandering Museum Consultant?
Short Answer: A crazy idea.
Proper Answer: An experienced museum professional wandering around the world and spending time at a variety of museums offering my services as a volunteer consultant. Throughout, I will be blogging about each museum, the region/country and the project itself.
The purpose of the Wandering Museum Consultant is two-fold:
1) The museums will benefit:
- Extra help from an experienced museum professional
- Exposure to nontraditional markets through my blog
2) I will benefit:
- Experience in different types of museums and different countries
- Develop a network (perhaps connect those I work with each other as well)
- Meaningful travel
I have seven years experience working in museums, primarily in Canada, but also in the UK. I have had the opportunity to work in small museums, where I have been able to develop skills in many different areas. These include education programming and delivery, collections management and research, exhibition research and design, volunteer management and museum governance. In October 2012, I was honoured with an Ontario Museum Association’ Promising Leadership Award of Excellence for my body of work. Please check out my C.V. for more on my experience and accomplishments.
Currently, I am putting together an initial short term Wandering Museum Consultant program for this summer. I will be spending the summer in Europe, and I am looking for three more 2-week placements in the UK or Europe. I am doing these placements on a volunteer basis. However, I greatly appreciate a donation of housing (this does not need to be private accommodation, I am perfectly happy to be in spare rooms, etc.).
- Instructor for Museum Association of Saskatchewan – Webinar: Building an Interactive Whiteboard on a Budget – Mar. 2012
- Instructor for Ontario Museum Association – Learning Lab Webinar: Introduction to Effectively Using Social Media in Museums – Feb. 2012
I am available for consulting on various topics; please contact me at email@example.com for more information.